In line with our ambition to be a leading voice, we contribute our expertise to advance sustainability issues in political and social discussions and actively participate in a broad sustainability network.
Estimated reading time: 5 minutes
Our Corporate Bank Chief Financial Officer and DWS’s Chief Investment Officer for Responsible Investments have been appointed to the Sustainable Finance Advisory Council inaugurated in 2019 by the German Federal Government to support the development of a national sustainable finance strategy. Additionally, DWS’s Head of Responsible Investments was elected to the board of the Institutional Investors Group on Climate Change (IIGCC). The IIGCC is a leading global investor membership body and the largest one focusing specifically on climate change. IIGCC has over 190 members, among them many of the largest asset owners globally.
The political and regulatory agenda in many jurisdictions delivers clear supervisory expectations for banks to manage sustainability risks with a focus on climate-related risks. We are contributing to the discussions on developments in sustainable finance with trade associations, and responding to consultations, including those from the European Banking Association, the Network for Greening the Financial System, and the Technical Expert Group.
We take part in a number of innovative initiatives at a global, EU and national level. For example, since 2019 we have participated in the pilot project led by the United Nations Environment Programme Finance Initiative and the European Banking Federation to draw up guidance on the voluntary application of the EU taxonomy to core banking products. Furthermore, we joined nine international corporates in establishing the Value Balancing Alliance, a cross-sectoral initiative that will create a global impact measurement and valuation standard for monetising and disclosing the total value that companies bring to society.
- Member of the UNEP-FI (since 1992)
- Participation in the UN Global Compact (since 2000)
- Signatory of the Principles for Responsible Investment (through DWS, since 2008)
- Supporter of the Green Bond Principles as part of a coalition of 12 major financial institutions (2014)
- Signatory of the Paris Pledge for Action (2015)
- Accredited partner of the UN Green Climate Fund
- Formal supporter of the recommendations developed by the Financial Stability Board’s Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosure (TCFD) (2018)
- Co-founder of the UN Principles for Responsible Banking (2019)
- Founding member of the Value Balancing Alliance (2019)
- Signatory to the Collective Commitment to Climate Action of the German Financial Sector (2020)
- Signatory to the Carbon Disclosure Project
- Member of the Ceres Investor Network on Climate Risk and Sustainability
- Signatory to Climate Action 100+
- Founding member of the Climate Policy Initiative’s Global Innovation Lab for Climate Finance
- Founding member of the Coalition for Climate Resilient Investment (CCRI)
- Founding member of the EU Energy Efficiency Financial Institutions Group